Helping women make the right connections
Our vision is that of a society where women are safe, respected, valued, informed, empowered and free to make genuine choices in their lives.
- WIRE is a proud feminist organisation
- WIRE is women supporting women
- WIRE is guided by the needs and aspirations of women
- WIRE values the lived experiences of women
- Women are resilient, resourceful and experts in their own lives
- WIRE acts with respect, integrity, fairness and transparency
- WIRE works collaboratively
- WIRE values diversity
- WIRE uses its expertise to affect meaningful change
- WIRE’s research and advocacy is driven by the stories of women.
WIRE achieves this by:
- Listening to and amplifying the voices of women
- Identifying and working to eliminate gender bias and gender discrimination
- Providing support and information to assist women to make informed choices
- Providing women with tools and education to rebuild their lives
- Having strong and ethical governance enabling long-term sustainability
- Living WIRE’s principles in daily practice as an organisation and as individuals
WIRE is a service for and by women in Victoria. We work within a feminist framework where we recognise women’s resilience and resourcefulness as a starting point. We take time to listen to women’s stories, and we always respect and acknowledge women’s diverse experiences and the different ways they choose to resolve their life situations.
As part of our feminist framework, we also understand the structural inequalities and differences women face because of their gender and the social and economic influences affecting women. We work to influence social change and act to overcome structural inequalities for women, and strongly believe that women have a right to information to enable them to make decisions and choices in their lives.
WIRE considers the way we operate to be as important as the outcomes achieved. WIRE values co-operation and collaboration with all the women with whom we interact.
WIRE recognises the diversity of Victorian women. This diversity can be seen in our staff, volunteers and service users. We embrace and value diversity. It is our policy to be inclusive and mindful of this diversity in our policies, programs and interactions with others. We affirm all people regardless of their age, culture, disabilities, ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, intersex status, marital status, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status.
WIRE aims to be inclusive of women from all backgrounds and experiences. We aim to create an environment which is free of exploitation and discrimination.
As a publicly funded agency, WIRE has obligations to act consistently with the human rights specified in Victoria's Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities, including sections 8 (protection against discrimination), 14 (freedom of thought) & 15 (freedom of expression).
WIRE is exempt from the sections 16,107 and 182 of the Equal Opportunity Act, No. H68/2013.
WIRE is a recognised Fair and Flexible Employer 2009-2010 Victorian Government ways2work.
WIRE Policy: Trans and Gender-Diverse Inclusion